Advertisement

Eng301 Fall 2009 Solution

How to write an inquiry letter:
Be courteous. Remember, by making this request you are imposing on the reader’s time and/or resources.
Don’t send an inquiry letter for information you could easily find out by other means, such as with a quick search on the Internet.
Your letter can be fairly short, but it should be long enough to adequately explain what it is that you are inquiring about and what you want the reader to do in response to your letter.
Generally, give at least a couple of weeks for the person, company, or organization to respond to your inquiry before you send a follow-up letter or make a follow-up phone call.
If appropriate, you may want to mention that you will keep confidential any information provided. (This may increase the likelihood that the reader will respond to your inquiry.)
Make it as easy as possible for the person to respond to your request. This might mean offering to pay for any needed photocopies or mailing costs, or perhaps including a self-addressed, stamped envelope; necessary forms, questionnaires, or other documents; and so forth.
Make sure to include contact information so that the person can easily get in touch with you if necessary, such as your cell or home phone number or e-mail address.
When the person responds to your inquiry, it is a good idea to send a quick note of thanks expressing your appreciation and telling how the information helped (or can help) you. If appropriate, you may want to offer to return the favor in the future.

Date of Letter
Your Address
Your Phone Number

Employer’s Name and Title
Employer’s Address

Dear_________:

I’ve learned about career opportunities at Company Grand through the University of Iowa
Placement Center. As a senior in the School of Business with a concentration in marketing, I am
interested in securing a position in marketing. Enclosed is a copy of my resume.
Currently, I am working for Shell Oil Company in Wood River, Illinois, in an internship program,
where I’m involved in marketing strategy research.
I have worked on three major marketing projects including an in-depth consumer behavior study
on daycare centers. The results were compiled from questionnaire responses and computerassisted
statistical analysis.
I look forward to discussing my qualifications and how I can contribute my marketing abilities to
your company. May I meet with you in the next month? I can be reached at (206) 555-2222
during working hours, or I will contact you in the next two weeks.

Sincerely,

0 Responses